Gravity Fed Homemade Deer Feeder Plans
Make one's own gravity fed homemade deer feeder is an option to buying expensive mechanical deer feeders. Several gravity feeders can be made for the price of an automatic feeder from a length of plastic drain-waste-vent (DWV) sewer pipe. Most people use 4" diameter pipe and fittings but an option is to use 6" pipe and neck down to 4" for use of of more inexpensive fittings. What is needed is for one gravity fed homemade deer feeder is:
- Four to five foot length of 4" or 6" sewer pipe ( 6" riser will hold a lot more feed)
- 4'' X 6" Reducer fitting (optional if using 6" pipe)
- 4" single "wye" or 4"double "wye" fitting
- 1 - 4" or 6" plastic cap for top
- 1 - 4" cap for bottom
- Option for bottom
- 1 -4" plastic to 4" female pipe thread adapter
- 1 - 4" threaded pipe plug
1.Sand the top cap interior or top pipe exterior sufficiently so the top cap can be placed on and removed without binding.
2. Cut the 4" or 6" pipe to length a 10' length will make two feeders if not able to buy pre cut.
3. Glue the single or double "wye" fittingto the bottom of the feeder. Caution, the branch of the "wye" must point up to the top of the pipe.
4. Cut a small length of pipe just long enough to cement the bottom (straight through end) of the "wye" to the lower cap fitting.
5. Drill a half a dozen 1/8" weep holes in the bottom cap (or plug if using that option) so any rain water will drain.
The gravity fed homemade deer feeder tube can now be attached to a post or wired to an existing tree. Fill with corn and enjoy the hunt.
Homemade deer feeders and mineral salt licks
can be used in conjunction with each other as a
for the purpose of influencing deer trail creation and use.
Deer Feeders, Food and Minerals
Cabela's has a comprehensive selection of deer feeders, food, minerals and more for attracting deer and making your own licks as well as growing your own trophy bucks at their Hunting Site. The way to get to them is - once you get to the hunting site
scan down and under the heading of Wildlife Management you will find the different items listed.
Good Luck and Be Safe